Wednesday, November 30, 2011

On My Nightstand - The Distant Hours by Kate Morton



The Distant Hours (560) – By Kate Morton

On the Back Cover:
It starts with a letter, lost for half a century and unexpectedly delivered to Edie’s mother on a Sunday afternoon.  The letter leads Edie to Milderhurst Castle, where the eccentric Blythe spinsters live and where, she discovers, her mother was billeted during World War II.  The elder Blythe sisters are twins and have spent most of their lives caring for their younger sister, Juniper, who hasn’t been the same since her fiancĂ© jilted her in 1941. 
Inside the decaying castle, Edie searches for her mother’s past but soon learns there are other secret hidden in its walls.  The truth of what happened in “the distant hours” has been waiting for a long time for someone to find it.  In this enthralling romantic thriller, Morton pays homage to the classics of gothic fiction, spinning a rich and intricate web of mystery, suspense, and lost love.

My thoughts:
I love Kate Morton!  I love her writing style, I love her characters and I love her books.
So far she has published 3 books, this one being her third and I have read them all.  All of them are quite long (all of them being over 500 pages) and what I love about books that are that long is it really allows you to get to know the characters.  I can read a 250 page book in 2-3 days and I almost always feel like I barely got to know the characters and the book is done and that is the end.  Not with Kate Morton’s books.
She has some great character development that does not leave you borred and wondering when the story is going to start.

This book in particular she not only developed the characters, she also spent a lot of time developing the castle as a character. 
All of her books have an element of mystery around the story and this one did not disappoint.

My rating: 4.5 out of 5.

What about you?  What is on your nightstand?

No comments:

Post a Comment