Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Eating Healthy – or at least more healthy

Generally I am a pretty healthy eater.  We eat pretty healthy meals at home, and I try and bring my lunch as often as possible.

But I get lazy sometimes too.  I get bored and don’t want to eat last night’s leftovers for lunch.
I love a good burger, fries and coke.
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE salty crunchy snacks.

90% of the time, I make from scratch meals, but I also have Hamburger Helper in my pantry.

So as January is here, hubby is working out, and we are both making a very conscious effort to make and eat healthy foods.

I thought I would share with you all some of our healthy meals and snacks.

Oven Roasted Chickpeas


There is not really a recipe to this one, I got the idea from Julie van Rosendaal – tried it myself and love it.
Open a can of chickpeas, drain, rinse, and dry on paper towel, discard skins.
Place in a bowl; toss with a little bit of olive oil and seasoning of your choice.
Seasoning ideas:
Salt and pepper
Chili powder, cumin, salt (if you like it spicy try a spicier chili like chipotle powder or even cayenne).

Place on a baking sheet and roast for 40-50 minutes in 400F oven.
If you like them crunchy, like I do, you might want to go even a bit longer on the cooking.

Here is the best part – you can buy a can of chickpeas for $1.50 approx at most grocery stores – if you don’t like the flavour you made – it will not break the bank to toss it and try a different seasoning mix.

This is a very cost effective snack – it is not hard to eat the whole can (they shrink considerably when you roast them) and chickpeas are a bean so they are a protein and very filling.

These have become my go to snack when I need some crunch.

More ideas and recipes to come….

1 comment:

  1. LOL...I have to admit, I cook from scratch too, but you can always find a box of Kraft Dinner in my pantry ;) I love chickpeas. But I've never tried them roasted. I MUST. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete