Monday, January 30, 2012

On My Nightstand - Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter



Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter – By Tom Franklin

Format: Paperback - 272 pages

On the back cover:
In the 1970’s, Larry Ott and Silas “32” Jones were boyhood pals in a small town in rural Mississippi.  Their worlds were as different as night and day: Larry was the child of lower-middle-class white parents, and Silas, the son of a poor, black single mother.  But then Larry took a girl to a drive-in movie and she was never seen or heard from again.  He never confessed ... and was never charged.

More than twenty years have passed.  Larry lives a solitary, shunned existence, never able to rise above the whispers of suspicion.  Silas has become the town constable.  And now another girl has disappeared, forcing two men who once called each other “friend” to confront a past they’ve buried for decades.

My thoughts:
I really liked this book.  The writing style and character development reminded me of a John Irving book (just not as long).
I read the whole book over one weekend and had a really hard time putting it down.  It made me want to keep reading to find out who really was responsible for the missing girls but I found the book read much more like a drama novel than a mystery novel.

My rating: 4 ½ out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment