Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Super Scary Attempted Child Abduction

If you live in Calgary and have small children, I really hope you have already heard about the attempted child abduction that happened in Calgary 2 days ago.

Here is the link to the story in the Calgary Herald, but if you don't feel like reading the whole thing, what happened was a 3 year old girl was in her back yard  when 2 individuals (a man and woman), grabbed her and ran.

The little girl screamed, and this alerted the father who then started chasing on foot (I can only assume the parents were inside the house while the little girl was playing in the back yard.

Thankfully, the abductors put the girl down and continued running.
So far they have not been caught and the little girl is okay.  (At least at the time I am writing this.)

I don't know about you, but this story has freaked me right out.

We live on a corner, with sidewalks along the front of our house and along the whole side, and although we have our whole back yard fenced with a 6 foot fence, there is nothing to stop someone from opening the gate, grabbing and running as I am in the house making dinner or using the washroom.

There have been a few attempted child abductions in Calgary recently of older children walking home from school, but this is the first one of a child so young and also out of a backyard.

This one hits just too close to home.

I will be keeping a closer watch on my kids from now on, even when they are in the back yard and I think it is time to start those 'stranger danger' conversations with Little Girl.

One thing I do know - she would scream her little head off, but may this be a message to myself and all parents with children, you can never be too careful.

1 comment:

  1. I know hearing stories like this always remind me how much we have to watch our kids. This world can be a scary place. My struggle is the balance between being cautious and paranoid. So glad the girl is okay.

    ReplyDelete