Wednesday, June 06, 2012

A Public Service Annoucement for Bloggers


It seems like everyone and their dog has a blog, and if they don’t have a blog, they have started one.One thing I have noticed about this is the super high fail rate.

Is this because everyone thinks they have something to say but then realize no one is listening?
Or is it because people realize just how much time you have to dedicate to a blog to make it a success?

Whatever the reason, I have seem quite a few friends recently start blogs only to get a few posts up and before I know it, 6 months have passed and no new posts.

Now, I am not saying I am any better, I have gone through my periods of no posts, it is just an observation I have made recently.

But I did want to give a little tip to some bloggers I follow out there (and I think might follow me).

The biggest annoyance I have with blogs is word verification. 

Word verification pops up when someone tries to comment on your site – on blogger if you don’t turn it off.  Apparently this is to prove that I am a real person commenting on your site and not a robot.

Please, please – TURN IT OFF!!  Is your blog really that popular that you are getting robo-comments all the time and you have no time to manage them?
I took a screen shot of a friends blog I was going to comment
on today - see how much fun that word is to figure out - and
honestly - that is an easy one.
Check out some of the big blogs out there – they don’t have word verification set up?  Why?  Because having word verification is annoying as hell and it stops people from commenting.

That’s right folks – you might enjoy trying to decipher those cryptic words, but I hate it. I often get them wrong and have to re-try – and so, when I see that pop up – I often cancel my comment.

Check out how many comments the Pioneer Woman got on this
post - 48,023 - and no word verification!


Oh, and don’t even get me started on blogs that need to approve my comment before it will appear on the site – I will save that one for another day.


Anyone else with me?  Or am I the only one who does not like word verification?

5 comments:

  1. I'm REALLY lacking in the posting department, but will eventually get back into it. BUT I totally agree with you on the word verification annoyance. It's high up on my list, along with no e-mail associated to the person.

    Hope all is well!

    Just went to publish this and noticed that your word verification is on...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this!!! HATE word verification. Adn the approval too. Terrible.

    ha ha you have word verification!!! Jenny TURN IT OFF!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I dislike the approval method more than the word verification, and I'm really not fond of word verification for commenting. :)
    Are you really that worried about spam or negative comments on your blog that you need to moderate them? Seems silly to me...

    Anyway, I recently stumbled upon your blog and have been thoroughly enjoying it. I'm a displaced Calgarian living in Winnipeg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed! Commenting should be the easiest and quickest thing in the world. If it's not, I'm not trying a second time to leave a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't realize people hated the approval method so much. I've been using it on my blog because sometimes things can get kind of heated towards the indoor play places I review. Hmmm I'll have to think about that.

    ReplyDelete