Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Birthday Cake

According to the kids and my husband, a birthday is just not a birthday without cake.

I believe in making my own cakes fron scratch as much as possible, and let me tell you - I must really love my husband because this required me to turn on the oven on Sunday (+29C) in Calgary, with no air conditioning!

I also try and make his a different type / flavour of cake each year, this year I got my insperation from Pinterest - a Mint Chocolate Chip "Ice Cream" Cake. 

First a few pictures and the recipe to follow.

The birthday boy and his cake.



So after dinner, someone comes to snuggle with her Daddy:


While someone else finishes my piece of cake:


I turn my head for a minute and look at what happens.  Oh, he is so his father's son!




The cake was delish.  The cake itself is a fantastic classic chocolate cake, but the icing tasted so much like the ice cream it is made to resemble.
Hubby, myself and the kids all gave it 2 thumbs up!
Mint Chocolate Chip "Ice Cream" Cake

David Lebovitz Devil's Food Cake

9 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ cups cake flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup butter, at room temperature
1 ½ cups white sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
½ cup strong coffee (cold)
½ cup milk
Preheat oven to 350F.
Butter two 9” round cake pans, line the bottoms with parchment paper, set aside.
Sift together, cocoa powder, flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together for about 5 minutes.  Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
Stir half the dry ingredients into the butter mixture, and then add the coffee and milk; continue stirring and then add the remaining half of the dry ingredients.
Divide the batter between the two pans, and bake for 25 minutes, or until done.
Cool completely before frosting.

Mint Chocolate Chip “Ice Cream” Icing
2 cups butter, at room temperature
6 cups icing sugar
2-3 teaspoons peppermint extract, adjust to taste
150g dark chocolate, very finely chopped
Green food colouring
Place the butter in the bowl of your stand mixer, beat on high with paddle attachment until fluffy and smooth.
Add the icing sugar one cup at a time (you might need slightly less or more), until you reach your desired icing consistency.
Add the peppermint extract to taste and the food colouring.  Gradually add the chocolate pieces.

3 comments:

  1. You didn't mention, did you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like an awesome recipe! I'm going to have to try it. I love making my own cakes too,so much better then the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing!!! Mint chocolate chip is my all time fav!!

    ReplyDelete