Thursday, January 31, 2013

Pork Piccata

This recipe is originally Chicken Piccata and I’ve made it before and the whole family loved it, but the other day I pulled out a pork tenderloin from the freezer with no plan for it.

When I came home from work with 2 hungry kids in tow, I had to come up with a plan fast, and although there are so many ways to make / work with a pork tenderloin, nothing was speaking to me and I didn’t have time for it to marinate (my favourite way to eat it, marinated and BBQed).

So I modified this recipe to be a pork dish because pork is such mild flavour it worked very well.  The kids thought it was chicken (and ate it well) and Hubby and I both went back for seconds.


Pork Piccata

1 pork tenderloin
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ cup all-purpose flour
4 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ cup capers, drained
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley


To prepare the pork tenderloin, first cut remove silver skin, then cut into thirds, take each third and butterfly.  Using a meat mallet to pound out each piece to an even thickness (I got mine to about 1.5 cm thick).

Sprinkle both sides of each piece with salt and pepper, then dredge both sides in the flour.

Over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter with olive oil; once hot cook the pork pieces on both sides until just brown (about 3 minutes / side).  Make sure not to over crowd your pan, you might need to do 2 batches.  Remove pork from pan and set aside.

Add chicken broth, lemon juice and capers, bring to a boil and scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.  Return the pork to the pan, turning over to coat in the sauce and simmer until cooked through (5-7 minutes depending on the thickness of your pork).  Using tongs take the pork out of the pan and place on serving platter.  Whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, then remove from heat and pour sauce over the pork.  Garnish with parsley and serve alongside your choice of starch (I did rice).

Yield: 4 servings.
Source: Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis’ recipe in Giada’s Family Dinners cookbook.

1 comment: